View Single Post
Unread 30-05-2006, 17:34   #78
seamus kilcock
Regular Poster

Default dublin westport

Travelled from Dublin to Westport Saturday 26 May. Due to late arrival of Galway up train at Tullamore, Westport train left (T'more) 15 minutes late at 0922. Arrived Claremorris 1057 1/2 - on time. On leaving Manulla an announcement was made requesting Castlebar pax to move forward as we will be arriving in 5 minutes; public timetable allows 12 minutes for this section. We arrived into Westport at 1137 - 8 minutes ahead of schedule. The cumulative station to station journey time was done in 37 minutes less than what is allowed on the public timetable.
I have no problem with a certain amount of padding to allow for the likes of the Galway train late at the Tullamore crossing point, or whatever else may happen, but 37 minutes of padding!!
I put it to an IR official travelling with me, they should tighten up the timetables to make it more attractive for pax to use trains instead of private cars. His response was it had a lot to do with the Public Charter on timekeeping. What is the solution?
Picked up the 0900 Heuston/Cork train recently at Kildare. Left Kildare at 0932 - already 4 minutes late.
Left Mallow at 1133 - 12 minutes late according to public timetable - arrived in Cork at 1154 - one minute early. Timetable allows 34 minutes; the train I was on did it in 21 minutes.
Just doesn't make sense - or does it?
seamus kilcock is offline   Reply With Quote