View Single Post
Unread 12-04-2014, 18:17   #56
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I couldn't use the intercom at the other end as there was another group drinking at the other end of the car and I was unsure if they were not just one large group split into two. Hence I didn't want to chance it. As I was about to get off the train anyway, I figured ringing the number was the better option.

It didn't occur to me that the posted anti-social behaviour number would only be answered 9 - 5. Pulling the cord is fine if you are on a train, but what if it was a woman on her own waiting for a train at a halt like Enfield or Kilcock where it is pretty normal for crowds of teenagers to hang around drinking. There is nobody there to call for help.

It is pretty outrageous that there is no Irish Rail number to call. Yes you can call the guards but in that case, it is quite likely that Irish Rail would never even find out about an incident at a station.

Given the recent take-no-prisoners attitude regarding fare evasion, who is to say what the response would be for using the intercom or emergency handle in a borderline situation. The risk of a fine is a serious disincentive from using it.

Maybe it would make sense on a Friday to designate a few cars as "party cars", the way the smoking cars used to be in the old days. If you wanted a quiet journey years ago, you went first class or non-smoking. If you wanted a game of cards and a few few beers, take a smoking car. I would always avoid the 1905 on a Friday as it is usually pretty rowdy but it is annoying if this is spreading back to the 1705 now.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote