View Single Post
Unread 21-09-2013, 10:35   #20
Via Cortober
New to the board

The system has been a little buggy for the last while, with discounted fares disappearing completely at times.

Maybe that explains it because I did try with dates farther off and there was no change.

I take the earlier points re Longford/Dublin commuter service, and re empty seats and discounting. It seems to add up to the provision of different services within the same spatial contraints, without real-time knowledge of the numbers of tickets sold. And there's no reason why pass-holders should not have to pre-book their tickets and seats using their pass number as a booking PIN.

It's probably no news to anyone here but when it came to buying my ticket online there was no clarity on the IÉ website about ticket pricing relative to the timing of my purchase. They don't tell the customer what discounts are available on their standard prices - for tickets bought online - for certain journeys - so many days in advance of travelling.

So, given the timing, the price I would have paid online was actually dearer - adding the online transaction costs - than buying the ticket in the station 10mins before travelling.

PS
The €14.99 one-way fare x 2 (return) booked online seven+ days in advance comes to €29.98 + €2 transaction = €31.98 (using a debit card and leaving out the €1 for a credit card charge). The ticket bought on the day at the station came to €30.50. So no discounts for same day return tickets.

Last edited by Via Cortober : 21-09-2013 at 10:50.
Via Cortober is offline   Reply With Quote