View Single Post
Unread 20-07-2011, 08:52   #36
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The runaway 10/28 flightpath runs at almost a 90 degree angle to the railway line, an airport branch would leave north of Clongriffin and turn towards the Airport. If you draw a line from the end of the main runway to the approach fix off the coast it passes just south of Portmarnock
Do you have any idea where or what type of station is being planned? Assuming the line comes in south of the long term car parks between the M1 and the R132, it leaves the station blocked by the freight and office buildings and a long way from the terminals. Are they considering some kind of underground station and associated tunnel? I doubt for €200m that they are but I can't see many useful alternatives.

Also, I assume they'll have to go under the M1 somehow. Do you know how they plan on achieving that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
The route via Clongriffin is circuituous and the proposed journey time of 25 minutes (from Connolly ?) to the airport is hardly especially attractive being well within the capability of a bus service from the city centre via the port tunnel.
Even if the train is slightly slower than the bus, it will still attract a lot of passengers simply because most people prefer trains to buses, even if it's unfounded.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote