View Single Post
Unread 06-09-2010, 06:33   #26
corktina
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
You are right - I omitted the maitenance and depreciation on the costs of the local commute. That is because in my case, the car does so few miles that the maintenance has to be done on a time schedule rather than a mileage schedule.

So in my case, I drive a 12 year old Mondeo that is worth essentially nothing leading to zero depreciation and maintenance is about 500 per year. So ignoring all other use of the car, that adds 2 euro per journey to the car's cost. If you wanted to do the numbers on a new car which would depreciate 5,000 euro per year, you arrive at a 20 euro journey cost and now traveling the whole way by car begins to look attractive but only if you like to have a new car anwyay.

You can get away with a a banger as a station car but you cannot if you are doing 40,000 miles per year (which would be my approximate mileage).
I would say on most peoples journeys you can more or less disregard depreciation and maintenance because most people only make the occasional journey. A regular commuter would be a whole different ball-game i agree.

I can drive from home to Dublin city centre quicker and cheaper than the train fare. If I bring someone with me, they travel for free effectively.
corktina is offline   Reply With Quote