View Single Post
Unread 06-06-2010, 01:55   #7
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

First of all, splitting the four hour gap was important and should have been done. Personally, I would have added a stop in Kildare to pick up transfers but better than a kick in the behind. Hopefully the 3h20 gap ex Waterford in the morning will be addressed too. One of the few things I think we can agree with Big Dick F about in his public utterances is that frequency is key. Time not spent waiting for a train is just as important as how fast it is, and is sometimes the cheaper option over a track upgrade.

Pity they couldn't find a way to put on a late ex Waterford (in the 1930/2000 range) but hopefully increased patronage will lead to further expansion up to the limits of what is basically a single track line (albeit with Lavistown).

Mark G - I'm trying to understand the implications for the morning service. 3 extra carriages in Waterford, but what good are they since they are being deadheaded from Waterford approx 0530 to Carlow for the 0625? Or do you mean where a problem is found overnight they will be swapped to a later service and the 0625 Carlow will be cancelled?

Edit to note: the 1635 ex Heuston is essentially a Carlow-Waterford evening commuter service, given that it leaves 1743. I wonder if there will be take-up for that as such.

Last edited by dowlingm : 06-06-2010 at 01:57.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote