Thread: Baby on board
View Single Post
Unread 03-06-2010, 19:04   #8
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I should think that making arrangements in case the train actually crashes is a bit unnecessary given the how unlikely that is. (Touch wood).

But it probably isn't a great idea to put a car seat on a table due to the propensity towards sudden lurches that Irish trains have. I would think it possible that a car seat could be thrown off the table.

It would seem to me that the best solution for a child in the first stage car seat is to either use a pram/pushchair or put them in the seat on a rearwards facing seat.

For a child that is the next stage of seat where isn't really practical to bring the seat, the pushchair or just the rear facing seat (when they are a bit bigger) is probably the best.

A forward facing seat isn't a great idea as there is a strong chance the child getting their head whacked against a table.

I've travelled on a Finnish train that had a play area. Fantastic arrangement - keeps the noisy children and the people who complain about them seperate so nobody need worry. But then most of Europe appears to be considerably more civilised than Ireland or the UK towards providing family-friendly facilities. The play area didn't even take up much room as it was slotted in over the return of the stairs on a double-decker car and most of the space wasn't usable for seats anyway.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote