View Single Post
Unread 28-06-2008, 20:59   #8
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Mark, in an earlier point I also mentioned that the DART line will eventually be extended, substantially increasing the average length of a passenger journey. Another point that I would like to make is that Maynooth, although lacking electrification is serviced by the more comfortable Commuter trains. The journey for this is 45 minutes in length. In another thread I also mentioned that I took a return trip up to Maynooth twice in one week at different times. While on board, I noticed a good few passengers using the on board restrooms. Perhaps, this is because the facilities where available.

Nevertheless, I was quite surprised by the demand for this for a 45 minute journey which some may regard as relatively short. I was in college in the IFSC for 4 years until last month. On numerous occassions, the DART would take in excess of 40 minutes to reach Connolly which is where I would usually get off. Having been to the toilet just before leaving the house, at times I would badly need to go again 20 minutes into this 40 minute journey. It certainly wouldn't have been any help being squashed between the abundance of passengers.

On a further note, the reason why I have often suggested making more use out of the Commuter trains particularly those going to and from Bray is because it would spread the amount of passengers accross the trains at these times. Take for example, the morning Balbriggan service from Bray. It serves all stations between Bray and Dun Laoghaire before skipping all stations to Landsdown Road. Well over half the people at Dalkey and Glenageary board this train and the platforms at these stations are covered with people by the time it arrives.

There is another Commuter train between 8:00 and 8:25 from Gorey which serves Dun Laoghaire and then Blackrock. While these stations are important interchanges, it skips Dalkey and Glenageary which are extremely congested at this time. It would make sense to have that service stopping in even one of those stations to distribute the passengers more evenly so that the following trains are not as clogged up. To be fair this service cruises along between Blackrock and Landsdown Road. Would it not make sense have one extra stop to this services?

For example, the train from Gorey could make a stop in Dalkey at 8:15 allowing the DART in front to get further ahead. It would arrive in Dun Laoghaire 2 minutes later then it currently does. From here on it would be able to pick up a lot more speed as 2 minutes of clearence would give the train driver the ability to go much faster. It would arrive in town at the same time it is currently. However, a lot more passengers will benefit from the extra stop.

I have been on the 10:36 Drogheda (leaves Bray at 10:25) service from Dalkey loads of times. As the train before it is much further ahead, it speeds along between Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock at roughly 50 MPH. This should more than make up for those 2 extra minutes.
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote