View Single Post
Unread 28-06-2008, 19:42   #5
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

I am going to get technical with this point. As far as I know, there are 3 main makes of DART fleet. There is the Alstom DART fleet which can only support 2 carriages from cabin to cabin. Then there is the LHB DART stock with the same configuration albiet with more comfortable seats. Finally, there is the Tokyu DART fleet divided into two sub classes with the only two differences being slight variation in seat comfort and the roof profile. A single train in this form can be 4 carriages in length from cabin to cabin.

The point I am trying to make is that the make of DART would determine the amount of toilets in a single DART train. The Tokyu fleet can form 8 cars with only two trains back to back. Therefore, there would be one toilet on each train. However, 4 trains are required to make an 8 car formation with either the LHB or Alstom DART stock. This would mean installing 4 restrooms on an 8 carriage Alstom or LHB DART train. For each restroom 4 seats would have to be sacrificed. Nevertheless, I don't think that standing space would be affected.

Moving away from the technicalities, an extremely cheap solution would be to place a portable toilet on each platform at the following stations: Dalkey, Blackrock, Sydney Parade, Grand Canal Dock, Tara Street and Raheny. Another suggestion would be to have more Commuter branded trains serving stations such as Raheny, Dalkey and Glenageary. Bray, Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock are quite frequently serviced by this type of train, particularly the former two. Simply add Raheny, Dalkey and partially Glenageary to the list of stops for more of these services. Not all of them but the majority of them. If that makes any sense? The text in bold indicates the stations with a particularly higher demand for this kind of facility.

As I mentioned in an earlier point, Bray, Killiney, Dun Laoghaire, Pearse and Connolly already have toilet facilities. However, some are in desparate need of refurbishment, particularly in Dun Laoghaire. As Malahide and Portmarnock are very frequently serviced by the Commuter, they wouldn't really need a toilet. In other words, every second or third train serving those areas is a Commuter. The bottom line is that either have more stations fitted with toilets or have them fitted on to the DARTs. I won't elaborate any further on this point as I will end up completely exhausting it.
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote