View Single Post
Unread 28-06-2008, 08:06   #36
James Shields

I have to agree with the comments about Drogheda. The lack of displays is a pain, and it's not uncommon for trains to be waiting on both platforms 2 and 3, leaving you to guess which one to board - or trek back over the footbridge to find someone to ask. Trains often depart unannounced, and you are often left to guess what's going on.

On the other hand, I've always found the staff to be friendly and helpful (when you can find them), the toilets always clean and well looked after, and in general the station falls a long way short of what's required for a worst station award. I'll mention it to them so they can try harder next year.

I agree that Pearse is a deserving winner. We'll have to see if the current refurbishment fixes anything. I can't help wondering if they're going to bolt on a new entrance, but leave the existing station unchanged, like the Townsend St entrance to Tara St. The current ticket office is a disaster, and if the rumours of ticket validators going on the platform rather than the ground floor are true, I have worries of dangerous crowds of people unable to get off the platform. And yes, the toilets are horrible. Notice also, the disabled toiled requiring the key to be acquired from the booking office, which would be a difficult trek for a wheelchair user travelling on their own,

Connolly also leaves much to be desired. I think they did a relatively good job with the automatic validators, and it's amazing what a lick of paint has done for the toilets - though they're still pretty bad, at least they're not as dark and dingy.

I think Grand Canal Dock deserves an honourable mention. The validators were never going to be adequite for a station that busy. There's never enough staff for the number of people using it - often only one person present at rush hour. I also met a lady there trying to get a buggy out of the station when the lift down to street level wasn't working - the guy at the ticket desk wasn't able to help as he was on his own. I checked after, and there was no mention of Grand Canal Dock on the list of stations with broken lifts on the electronic displays.