View Single Post
Unread 22-04-2008, 21:09   #26
sean

Here are my nominations

Least Attractive:
In terms of pure aesthetics, Pearse must be the worst. All that darkness and brown EVERYWHERE. It's retro-functional, and not in a good way.

All around Worst Dublin Station: Connolly is more pleasing to the eye, but has its own problems especially regarding integration. The journey from Platform 6/7 to the Luas station is crazy. And the toilets, yikes, talk about skimpy! And then of course we have the mega farm of ticket validation machines, which when installed replaced what had been a massive seating area.

I would have nominated Sligo for the ugliest station, but since they gave the station a mini-facelift it looks quite decent now.

Best hidden station (in my limited experience) must be Edgeworthstown. Whatever posessed the MGWR to put it a good 400M further outside the town centre than was necessary, I do not know. To make matters worse, while the station is to the South East of the town, guess where all the new developments and recent (i.e. since 2000) housing estates are. That's right, the North West. On the upside though, there's plenty of parking spaces there for "Park N Ride" use, which makes it a priceless asset to much of North Longford.

I'm surprised Adamstown station isn't in the running for Best Station, from what I saw of it in photographs, it looks really nice. In fact, when I first saw a pic of the interior, my first thought was "Gee, that looks like it might be an airport terminal."

Last edited by sean : 22-04-2008 at 21:13.