View Single Post
Unread 06-03-2008, 08:52   #23
Terrontress
Regular Poster

I think the setup in the UK lends itself to the BTP much more easily than here.

The ATOC, LUL etc. fund the BTP but I think that if CIE and the RPA were to be asked to do the same, they'd bury their head in the sands and say that there is no problem.

There would also be massive objection from the Gardai if there were to be a move to set up a separate force. They'd feel their own positions under threat. Just look at the Garda Reserve protests.

But if they attempted to have it as part of the current Gardai, there would need to be an attempt to ensure all resources are allocated to their purpose. I have seen Garda Traffic Corps cars on a regular basis doing work that does not seem traffic related to me.

So there you go. I predict objection from the transport companies and objection from the Gardai.

Why would IÉ want to pay for the training, salary, sick leave and pension of some fully trained professionals when they can outsource the lot to a bunch of thugs in bomber jackets?

Even compare that Nissan Almera saloon that the STT guys go round in with a police car from the BTP.

We will never have a comparable setup.
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote