View Single Post
Unread 31-01-2008, 17:49   #169
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Actually, Moscow is quite good. The don't go off on hair brained, mad cap plans or designs. They stick to the basics and do some tailoring to give each station an individuality within a theme. They add a couple of stations per year, making sure the skills are kept together and there is no boom and bust. Everything is tried and trusted, not (half-)invented on the fly.

No, please no. No offence intended and this isn't my usual choice of language, but f**k architecture.

What is needed is functionality. Metro, like anything else, needs to work. It needs to move people from where they are to where they want to go. Prompty, quickly and safely. Anything else is secondary.

It would be nice if the system made money. It would be nice if it could be SFE*. It would be nice to use Irish designs and Irish people. But if it doesn't do its job, it just a very expensive hole in the ground.

My experience in the Irish construction industry since 1990 has been form over function. "It looks nice", but then it falls off after 6 weeks. Why? Bad workmanship? No, it was a s**t design. Ceiling too low over the stairs? Bad design. Forgot the client wants air conditioning? Bad design. Leaky wall? Bad design. Cost over run? Guess what, bad design.

Now the Germans they keep the shiny stuff to the minimum, some stations are even grimey, but they are tidy, with no litter, no clutter, no fancy stuff that ... breaks. But the trains run on time. Thats the important bit.

* Shiny front end.
Sometimes it can be both:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic...tion%2C_Sydney

A beautiful station in sydney that use's the spanish soloution in its layout and is part of a balloon loop track wise. If only we could build things like that.

Also whats with the Amiens street exit of connolly being closed several times, i know its been gone for years, but it would be smart to have more exits, and possibly a more direct one to the IFSC, possibly underground with travelators.

Also when will they design the St Stephens green station. We're talking about 3 services at the same stop. An overground tram, a "ight-metro" underground, and a commuter line under that.

The service interchanges and direct exits must be very complicated to design, and also there should be several platforms for both the metro and inter-connector. The metro may be expanded in future so it should have 3 to 4 platforms to allow a run through tunnel and still be able to keep airport/swords to st stephens green.