View Single Post
Unread 06-12-2007, 02:56   #37
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithStephen View Post
The system has its flaws but compared to other trains in the world its OnBoard Information is reasonability good and percise. (Example) Ladies and Gentlemen, Iarnrod Eireann welcomes you onboard. This is the nine hundred (09:00) hours train from Dublin Hueston to Cork serving Limerick Jnct, Charleville, Mallow and Cork. Your attention is drawn to the safey and evacuation notices. Thank you for your attention, Have a pleasant and comforable journey.
That does sound good indeed, although I almost always take the Dublin-Galway train. I'll really make an effort to check out the service this Christmas. One of the advantages of living away from home is that the changes really stand out when you come back.
Quote:
Can I ask what is the french announcements but translated into English?..........
Sure. Here's an example
"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome aboard the Corail Intercité train to Tours. This train will serve Les Aubrais, Orléans, Meung-sur-Loire, Blois, St. Pierre des Corps and Tours its terminus. We inform passengers that their ticket must be validated. Those who have not completed this formality, please make yourself known to the inspector before any checks are made."
Then the usual:
"The train is about to depart, please keep clear of the doors, the train is departing."
And then the "Ladies and Gentlemen..." part above is repeated once the train departs.
None of this is automatic, it is always the ticket inspector who talks over the speakers.

With regards the whole issue of locked gates (at terminus stations), there are none in France. All platforms are open and people are only aware of which train is theirs once the platform number is indicated on the main display board. This is meant to happen 20 minutes before departure. It's quite a site to watch in, say, Montparnasse station when the platform number for a packed (up to 1090 passengers in Duplex TGV's) TGV is displayed only 5 or 10 minutes before departure, although the compulsory reservation on TGV's prevents total chaos. Passengers self-validate their tickets in machines to the sides of the platform entrance. On some rare occasions (e.g. busy holiday periods) your ticket will be checked before boarding.