View Single Post
Unread 18-10-2007, 22:19   #3
Derek Wheeler

Hi John

Excuse Marks rather harsh ending to his response. A lot of what he said in terms if integrated local transport is currently the thinking of the RUI committee. I have personally spent many months examining the car parking situation and seeking a national solution rather than individual solution. I assume from your post that you live along the rail line but not in an area that has early morning services to suit you. Therefore you are caught in the middle. Maynooth car park is indeed boxed in by the canal. There are currently plans to develop that area even further in terms of an amenity facility. It looks pretty certain that IE cannot develop better car parking facilities.

I don't know where you live so I cannot say if my local transport solution would work for you. But. If the car drivers from the immediate area that use maynooth carpark were provided with realistic local transport alternatives then obviously the car park is freed up for users from more remote or lightly served areas that can't justify local transport or rail services.

Finally John. Remember this one. I am a great advocate of localised public transport that serves rail stations and housing areas. Transport that helps rail commuters and takes cars off local roads at all times of the day. So far I have met with inertia, excuses and disinterest from local councillors and politicians. However a senior government minister is contemplating the provision of late night bus services to get people home from the pub. Bare that in mind if you write to your local representatives, particularly the FF ones.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote