View Single Post
Unread 18-10-2007, 19:05   #1
John J
Regular Poster

Angry Parking wars in Maynooth.

I'm sure P11 personnel are aware of the ongoing issue regarding shortage of parking spaces at Maynooth train station. The car park provides 150 spaces at a rough estimate and is full by 7.15am each morning.
The overflow ends up in a housing estate near to the station - this being the only area with free parking within a reasonable walking distance.

I have been forced to park in that particular estate 6 out of the 9 last days, having attempted to find space in the IE car park to no avail.
After a particularly bad day at work today I arrived back to my car to provide two pages of rather threatening literature under my wiper blade (text reproduced in full below).
This was also placed on several other cars.

This leaves me in quite a quandary.
I live a considerable distance from the train station and work demands force me to drive to Maynooth every day due to IE's failure to provide decent service levels beyond Maynooth.
Niether walking or cycling are particularly feasible.

There doesn't seem to be any work underway to provide extra capacity at Maynooth station.
Are P11 aware of any such work being planned?
What do you suggest I and other commuters do in the meantime?
Will IE be prepared to pay fines I may incur as a result of not being able to park when I wish to use their services, despite paying for an annual ticket?

I cannot afford to rent a parking space as train fares, petrol and tolls already cost me upwards of €100 a week.

I understand the views of the residents of that particular housing estate and have sympathy for them. However can they not also have some understanding for the catch-22 situation that Maynooth commuters are in?

The hugely positive effect that the train station has on rental and sale values is perhaps not fully appreciated - but that's another story.

It's a bit of a joke that on the one hand the authorities are actively encouraging public transport and on the other, the garda siochana, a government body, are persecuting those attempting to use it?

Any thoughts?

Quote:
PAGE 1
======
NO PARKING
PRIVATE ESTATE
Details of Cars fined by gardai recently
02 DL 5177 GARDA PARKING FINE
00 LD 1643 GARDA PARKING FINE
95 KE 3719 GARDA PARKING FINE
96 MH 2486 GARDA PARKING FINE
05 D 727 GARDA PARKING FINE
00 D 18024 GARDA PARKING FINE
98 D 6668 GARDA PARKING FINE
01 TS 2664 GARDA PARKING FINE
Further parking could result in clamping/towing and or garda fine.
YOUR CAR NUMBER HAS BEEN NOTED

PAGE 2
======
YOU MAY NOT BE AWARE THAT THE HOUSE DIRECTLY OPPOSITE THIS PARKING SPACE IS A RESIDENTIAL HOME FOR MILDLY HANDI-CAPPED PEOPLE. THIS SPACE IS FREQUENTLY REQUIRED FOR THEIR BUS/AMBULANCE TO BE TURNED. SPACE ALSO REQUIRED FOR STAFF AND DOCTOR.
CARS HAVE BEEN REMOVED BY THE POLICE.
THEY DO HAVE VISITORS AS DO THE REST OF THE RESIDENTS - BUT YOU HAVE LEFT THEM NO SPACE TO PARK. WE HAVE 14/18 CARS IN THIS CUL-DE-SAC OF OUR OWN. PEOPLE ON SHIFT WORK ETC. they come off irregular shifts and find there is nowhere for them to park.
We are not an extension of the railway car park.
YOUR NUMBER HAS BEEN NOTED. PLEASE DO NOT PARK IN THIS PRIVATE ESTATE AGAIN.
NOTE
* There is no signage indicating a residential home in the area - if I were aware of such, I would most certainly not park nearby.
John J is offline   Reply With Quote