View Single Post
Unread 26-04-2007, 00:38   #88
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrontress View Post
A good few letters into the Metro this morning about the charging of fines.
Here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro
MAIL METRO

Monday, April 16, 2007

Fines punish honest people

Unfair Punters must be properly informed about the fare rules

-----------------------------------

I read Chloe's letter (MailMetro, Thurs) and halfway through I knew what the outcome was, as I have been through the same scenario.

My circumstances were different in that I couldn't get a ticket due to the automated ticket machines at my station being out of service.

Not wanting to miss my train, I thought: 'There is a little desk at Connolly and I will pay there.' I queued up at Connolly at a desk advertising 'No Ticket - please queue here' and 'Get a ticket not a criminal record' as I wanted to pay for my journey - and was given a €50 fine for my efforts to avoid getting a criminal record!

If I was caught trying to go through the barrier on an out of date ticket or without any ticket whatsoever then I would deserve a fine. However, if I go out of my way to pay and I still get a €50 fine, where is the common sense in that?

L Jenning by e-mail

To Chloe and everyone else who's been, fined by Irish Rail: there are no signs in Tara Connolly or Pearse stations which mention the fines. Write and tell Irish Rail that their communication about the new fines has been non¬-existent and ask them to reconsider.

KM, Dublin 15

Recently, I got to, Tara Street station and, just like Chloe, told a member of staff I wanted to pay my fare, just like I have done a few times previously.

In the past, staff have been happy to issue me with a written ticket in return for my fare. However, this time I was blown away with the arrogance and unfairness with which I was confronted.

Like Chloe, I too felt like I had done something wrong and was close to tears. All I was doing was being honest. I am outraged that they think they can get away with this. A €50 fine is ridiculous for doing nothing wrong but being honest. I can understand if the staff member had issued me with a warning, as I would then know a fine can be issued for not purchasing a ticket at your departure station.

However, the fare rules have not been adequately publicised

Sarah Kelly, Dublin 15
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MailMetro pic.JPG (9.7 KB, 707 views)
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote