View Single Post
Unread 19-01-2007, 21:33   #104
Garrett

Default Bad experience at Portarlington today (Jan 19th)

Flew in from Paris today. 747 to city centre. Met a friend. Got the Luas (jammed) to Hewston. Got the 17:50 Galway train to Portarlinton. Train left on time, good train journey overall. Was in a good mood until we got (or half got) to Portarlington:

Train crawls into the station. Myself and two other passengers were at the door waiting for the platform to appear. We were at then back of the 3rd last carraige. No platform appeared.

Looked out a half open window and noticed that we were at the station but the platform was too short, then noticed people at the front end of the carriage disembarking. No announcements had been made.

Quickly hauled my luggage to the front and got off the train. The inspector was at the door so I asked him was it normal. He said that there appears to have been a signalling problem and that the train had pulled into platform 1 (eastbound) instead of the usual platform 2. I didn't mention anything about the lack of announcements.

As I was walking to the exit it occured to me that there may have been people in the last two carriages unaware that we were at the station. I tried pointing this out to a Portarlington station staff member on the platform. This is our conversation:
Me: "Maybe someone should make an announcement because there might be people at the back who might't know we're at the station."
IE guy: (Shruggs shoulders) "Nothing got to do with me."
Me: (Looking at the Iarnrod Eireann logo on his jumper) "It does say Iarnrod Eireann on your jumper, doesn't it?" (I was a bit pissed off, hence the smart ass comment)
IE guy: (getting visibly angry) "Listen! I'm not a train crew member, so it's got nothing to do with me!"
My parents arrived at that moment, so I let it go. The train started pulling off.
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote