View Single Post
Unread 26-09-2006, 16:32   #6
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

How long ago was Middleton given this type of approval?

Does this not mean commuter services?
Quote:
Mr Cullen said: "The reinstatement of the Ennis-to-Athenry section of the line will allow the introduction of scheduled train services between Limerick and Galway, the enhancement of existing commuter services between Ennis and Limerick and the development of the Galway Commuter Rail service between Galway and Athenry."
Tuam seems a no-go alright

below are some observations from the drivers seat of a car from Oranmore into Galway ( where the commuter service would hafta run.

My sis lives in Galway. She was looking into the development plans for the east of the city. the city and county have carved up the land from the galwayClinic roundabout back towards Oranmore i.e. from Dubhuisce and Roscam out, with a "green belt" ( or Merlin park hospital as it's now known) inside these estates.
There is a triangle between Roscam the N6 Dway and the train line ripe for levying and providing a commuter station either at the oranmore end, or the roscam end.
There's a LC at the end of the Roscam road, but it could be painlessly be closed fullstop to stop a ratrun or a new road built parallel with the tracks east to the old N6 bridge. This is manned at the minute ( swing type gates)

I guess it depends on how much the city and county councils care about developing this.

The two other LC's on the Ennis Athenry I can think of off the top of my head are Craughwell and Ardrahan. on not to be main roads for much longer, I don't know the policy of replacing these, Craughwell would be difficult as the LC is very near the town, Ardrahan would be possible, its at the bottom of a dip as you leave the village towards Galway.

What talk of stations are there? I presume Gort and then vaguely possibly Craughwell or Crusheen if someone'll pay for them?