Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Broombridge & Clonsilla Question (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=7213)

danielfelice 09-03-2009 14:37

Broombridge & Clonsilla Question

Hi Guys,

Got two questions for you here: Question 1 is more just for my own info and question 2 will settle a dispute between me and my girlfriend :)

1. On the northside of Broombridge heading toward town, there are 2 platforms that are no longer in use a few hundred metres from the existing Broombridge station. The two platforms are on either side of the canal and are now overgrown with grass and who knows what else. Where these the original Broombridge platforms? Is there any info on them or does anyone know what they were and where they went? I am assuming the platform on the same side as the nortbound platform went into down, but the one on the otherside of the canal?

2. The man in the "wheelhouse" (?) at Clonsilla. How does he know when the trains are coming? Is he in radio contact with the drivers? Does he have a gps system that tell him when to open the gates? What if he falls asleep? Does he live there?

Thanks!
Dan

ThomasJ 09-03-2009 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielfelice (Post 42617)
Hi Guys,

Got two questions for you here: Question 1 is more just for my own info and question 2 will settle a dispute between me and my girlfriend :)

1. On the northside of Broombridge heading toward town, there are 2 platforms that are no longer in use a few hundred metres from the existing Broombridge station. The two platforms are on either side of the canal and are now overgrown with grass and who knows what else. Where these the original Broombridge platforms? Is there any info on them or does anyone know what they were and where they went? I am assuming the platform on the same side as the nortbound platform went into down, but the one on the otherside of the canal?

2. The man in the "wheelhouse" (?) at Clonsilla. How does he know when the trains are coming? Is he in radio contact with the drivers? Does he have a gps system that tell him when to open the gates? What if he falls asleep? Does he live there?

Thanks!
Dan

Hey Dan,

1. Thats news to me, unless it had something to do with the old Broadstone line?

2. LOL! Staff members take shifts to control the tower at clonsilla. It is (AFIK) 24 hour based and as far as I heard before they control signalling atheir system would tell them when to open the gates etc. Its a great advantage that if the station is not open ask the tower when the next train is due!! :)

dowlingm 09-03-2009 15:48

Presume this is what is described in Q1. Maybe it's canal rather than rail related?

zag 09-03-2009 17:15

Looks like the site of the junction with the track to Broadstone (going off to the bottom right before the current track crosses the canal), so presumably there used to be a station/halt there.

z

zag 09-03-2009 17:19

Liffey Junction

From industrialheritageireland.info - http://www.industrialheritageireland...nollySligo.htm

Photos here - http://www.industrialheritageireland...nollySligo.htm

0/1½ 2.88 LIFFEY JUNCTION Last Updated:

Immediately before the line crosses the Royal Canal at the Dublin Connolly end of the station is the site of a carriage shed on the Down side. On the opposite side of the canal is the derelict water tower and associated column on the Sligo line. Beyond this, the Broadstone line trailed in on the Down side. There were two island platforms here, one on each side of the running lines and a loading bank on the Down side as well as extensive sidings. Only the island platform on the Up side remains, those on the Down side west of the junction point were demolished in 1997 and the running lines realigned in two stages to allow for an easier curve.

Liffey Junction closed to passengers in 1926 and totally in 1977. There was a block post here until 1991, the signal cabin having been on the Down side adjacent to the radio aerial. At the Sligo end of the station on the same side, is the site of the MGWR's creosoting depot. There was a siding connection to this.

Thomas Ralph 09-03-2009 18:35

Getting dangerously into infrastructure here, folks; please keep it to the members' area.

danielfelice 09-03-2009 18:57

2 Attachment(s)
thanks!

heres the "platforms" in red

Attachment 967

Attachment 968
this one looks like there is/was a line running next to it

ThomasJ 09-03-2009 19:04

i could be wrong but that looks like the trackbed of the old broadstone line! again i could be wrong!

zag 09-03-2009 19:46

Woo woo infrastructure alert

Danger, this may not be relevant to passengers, never mind that it's interesting. Woo woo.

That trackbed in the second photo is definitely the old route to Broadstone.

Can I change my title to "Used to be a member but didn't like the way the infrastructure police used to scare people off while they didn't mind going into infinite detail about issues that left the ordinary punter miles behind" ? Please ?

z

Thomas Ralph 09-03-2009 20:46

Sorry folks you were warned. One of the privileges of membership is that you get to discuss infrastructure and technical issues to your heart's content. You can even break out the crayons.