Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Irish Rail Discussion (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   How early can I get to ..... ? (maps) (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=3349)

Colm Moore 24-11-2007 04:16

How early can I get to ..... ? (maps)

5 Attachment(s)
I've gone through the main new timetables and have done up maps detailing how early one can get from a main station to anywhere else in the country. It shows up a few wacky bits where it makes sense to take an indirect route (usually through Dublin). Some quite minor changes - adding stops for individual trains in say Portarlington or Kildare could shave hours (or indeed sometimes nearly a day) off certain trips.

For those taking the slightly indirect Limerick-Galway train, remember you have to change in Portlaoise and Portarlington if you want to get the first train into Galway

Colm Moore 24-11-2007 04:17

1 Attachment(s)
Tralee (incomplete).

StephenM 24-11-2007 10:12

Interesting Idea. :)

Colm Moore 24-11-2007 18:10

Pictures improved.

Apologies for the earlier poor versions - somethign strange happened. :confused:

Colm Donoghue 26-11-2007 20:48

waiting in Limeric Junction

Wow 3 hours from arriving in LJ to get to Limerick....

Colm Moore 30-11-2007 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colm Donoghue (Post 27596)
Wow 3 hours from arriving in LJ to get to Limerick....

Yeah, the 0515 ex-Cork is focused on getting to Portarlington and Kildare for connections as opposed to Limerick Junction, but surely yes, they could put on an earlier connection to Limerick.

Mark Gleeson 30-11-2007 18:24

If you get the 6:30 ex Cork you can be in Limerick by 8:36 ok there is a 34 minute wait in Limerick Junc but its a lot better than the what is shown on the graphic

Colm Moore 02-12-2007 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 27811)
If you get the 6:30 ex Cork you can be in Limerick by 8:36 ok there is a 34 minute wait in Limerick Junc but its a lot better than the what is shown on the graphic

Oh, apologies. I'll look into that.

Colm Moore 11-12-2007 14:02

3 Attachment(s)
I have completed Tralee, updated Cork and Dublin (will upload later) and added Westport & Portarlington (will upload later).

What is obvious is that an awful lot of connections that could be possible at Portarlington or Kildare don't happen, making connections to the likes of Tralee, Wesport and Waterford a lot worse than they should.

First train from Ballina to Thomastown (without doubling back) is: Ballina - change at Manulla Junction - change at Portarlington - change at Limerick Juction - change at Waterford - Thomastown. Trainspotters paradise.

Mark Gleeson 11-12-2007 14:22

To be fair no one cares about doubling back if it offers a quicker journey, it is perfectly legal under the conditions of travel

The system is arranged as follows

Trains to Limerick all stations Kildare Limerick except Monestervin with Ballybrophy and Templemore served most times

Trains to Galway/Mayo first stop in Portarlington

Trains to Cork/Kerry first stop Thurles if there is a train to Limerick ahead then skip Limerick Junc otherwise first stop Limerick Junc for connection Limerick and Waterford

That would be grand if the full clockface timetable was in place. We have looked at it and you can get a very good setup, however certain journey combinations will never work

Colm Moore 11-12-2007 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 28293)
To be fair no one cares about doubling back if it offers a quicker journey, it is perfectly legal under the conditions of travel

I thought that IÉ were complaining of people making, say a Cork-Galway (only an example, I haven't looked at the specifics) connection in Dublin?

Garrett 12-12-2007 17:33

Quote:

That would suprise me honestly. I suppose it would depend more on the journey being taken and the circumstances. If doubling back is necessary because of a lack of or ineffecient services then yes, I do think people will care about it. I suppose what I'm saying is that if doubling back can be avoided and a quicker journey can be offered, then you can say hello to a happy customer.

Thomas Ralph 13-12-2007 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor (Post 28301)
I thought that IÉ were complaining of people making, say a Cork-Galway (only an example, I haven't looked at the specifics) connection in Dublin?

I had some friends who got hassle from IÉ guys at the ticket barriers in Heuston after they had tried to do Carlow-Galway via Heuston. You are supposed to change at Kildare and (most probably) again at Portarlington. The conditions of carriage bear this out, they say a ticket not specifying a route is valid only for the most direct route.

Colm Moore 20-12-2007 23:19

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Actually, meaningful connections are sometimes lost for want of a lack of a stop at Portarlington or Kildare. Some Waterford-Galway connections are completely lost because of this. Bad example, but if the 0710 Dublin-Galway (Portarlington 0754) stopped at Kildare and times shifted slightly, it could meet the 0710 Waterford-Dublin (Kildare 0759).

Also, because Cork trains all stop at Thurles and not Ballybrophy and Limerick trains stop at Ballybrophy and not Thurles, getting from Thurles to Templemore or Ballybrophy is difficult. Low demand, but if Portarlington and/or Kildare were treated as 'all trains stop here'* connections would be better.

* Within reason - no need to stop if there is no connection to make.

KSW 20-12-2007 23:55

Hi Victor, Wow is that some work on the Rosslare line, You've worked hard.
Everything seems to be bang on. I was looking at from Gorey to Dublin and elsewhere from my point of view which is earlier but well done.:rolleyes: