Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Concerts and Sport Specials (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Late Night Services - One Direction @ Croke Park (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=15166)

Jamie2k9 18-05-2014 20:35

Late Night Services - One Direction @ Croke Park

http://www.irishrail.ie/fare-and-tic...-one-direction
http://www.translink.co.uk/Services/...oach-Specials/

The following additional commuter services will operate after the concert each night:
22:35hrs Drumcondra - Maynooth
22:50hrs Drumcondra -Maynooth
23:05hrs Drumcondra - Maynooth
23:05hrs Connolly - Drogheda
23:21hrs Drumcondra - Maynooth
23:55hrs Connolly - Drogheda

The following additional intercity services will operate after the concert each night:
00.00** Connolly - Belfast (Newry, Portadown, Lisburn and Belfast)
00.30 Heuston - Galway (Tullamore, Athlone, Ballinasloe, Athenry, Oranmore and Galway)
00.40 Heuston - Cork (Limerick Jct. (with connection to Limerick), Charleville, Mallow and Cork)

** departure time approx & to be confirmed closer to departure date (expect they were waiting for IE to decide on commuter services)

Inniskeen 19-05-2014 07:08

Several of the "special" commuter trains listed in your post for "One Direction" are in fact re-timed regular services - some by over twenty minutes !

comcor 19-05-2014 10:14

Considering the time of night when it won't interfere with many other operations, thought could have been given to operating the Cork or Galway services from Connolly.

As always, I question whether Charleville will generate more business than Port Laoise or Thurles.

haddockman 19-05-2014 10:22

IE special services always shun people who live in the Portlaoise to Thurles section in favour of Limerick and Cork.
Has it ever occurred to IE that people in these places do want to avail of late services?

Jamie2k9 19-05-2014 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by comcor (Post 74439)
Considering the time of night when it won't interfere with many other operations, thought could have been given to operating the Cork or Galway services from Connolly.

As always, I question whether Charleville will generate more business than Port Laoise or Thurles.

I understand that when the recent two match specials to Cork and Galway were scheduled from Connolly, they also have to stop in Heuston as many passengers turned up at Heuston instead of Connolly.

Seems easier to keep to one station and the Luas will still be running so getting down won't be a problem.

berneyarms 19-05-2014 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by comcor (Post 74439)

Quote:

Originally Posted by haddockman (Post 74440)
IE special services always shun people who live in the Portlaoise to Thurles section in favour of Limerick and Cork.
Has it ever occurred to IE that people in these places do want to avail of late services?

To be fair, they did ask people to fill in a survey as to whether they wanted a train or not for One Direction and Garth Brooks, so I imagine that the stopping patterns of these trains are based on the results of that survey.

Jamie2k9 19-05-2014 16:32

Quote:

To be fair, they did ask people to fill in a survey as to whether they wanted a train or not for One Direction and Garth Brooks, so I imagine that the stopping patterns of these trains are based on the results of that survey.
Doing this 3 or 6 months depending on which concert isn't exactly good for customers. Nobody would of knows their plans back then however I do think IE would never of provided such services outside of Cork/Limerick/Galway/Belfast anyway.

Inniskeen 19-05-2014 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by haddockman (Post 74440)

One imagines that there would be some business to be had at local stations to Portlaoise, whether sufficient to justify a special service, I couldn't say.

Irrespective of the demand for a local service to Portlaoise, Portlaoise itself, Templemore and Thurles could be served by the Cork special and as you say would in all probability generate as much business as Charleville.

dowlingm 20-05-2014 15:11

The difference with Charleville is that the Limerick connection would no longer be waiting at the Junction so only one driver's time would be at issue by additional stops. Presumably a direct Limerick service which could have handled Tipp was not practical to do.

If as Inniskeen noted some of the services are merely retimed rather than additional then the Information Minister's minions need a smack.