Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Rail Users Ireland Canteen (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   the next station is........... (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=3111)

ThomasJ 11-10-2007 00:21

the next station is...........

Sorry if i'm breaking the rules and am putting it in the wrong category but one of the things i noticed on trains is that some stations have accents that stand out from others. seriously, i've been on the longford train and you'll hear the odd snigger or two. same with bré

listen to when longfort is announced and compare to another station ie st na bpiarsach and the same with bré. what i am wondering is the accent for bray and longford can you tell us where the accents (what county) are from and are there any more? that stick out from cluain saileach, caislean cnucha etc

KSW 01-11-2007 22:45

Agree, The Gorey route has Kilcoole and the Irish for that Lets put it this way if your asleep your gonna be awake. Same with Wicklow.

Aphfaneire 12-11-2007 20:20

Na Scerrie! or however its spelt, god it sounds like a pathetic after thought or rerecording. Its bad enough that when we finally do hear the announcements that they get annoying, but to put the irish in aswell for some stops just makes them more annoying!

zag 12-11-2007 20:30

The next station is Bray Bray

The whole thing with announcing station names in Irish is a joke.

If they are going to bother with the Irish versions of place names (and why not ?) then they could at least translate the announcement also.

Imagine for a second you are up for the day from the depths of some Gaeltacht area and don't have a word of English . . . when the guy says "The next station is Bray (pause) Bre" you would be left wondering whether the place was so good the councillors passed a motion to name it twice or what it was that made yer man say the name twice.

z

Mark Gleeson 12-11-2007 20:34

Bray/Bre is a bit of a problem Dun Laoghaire is more of a issue, the original roller blinds just carried Dun Laoghaire

Of course there is also a place called Dunleary....

They do the pa's in english and welsh in Wales

zag 12-11-2007 20:36

But

I don't mind having the station names announced in both languages, but I mean they should at least have yer man record the "Ta an cead stasiun eile . . ." bit.

Or is it "Is e an cead stasiun eile . . ."

z

Mark Gleeson 12-11-2007 20:42

Had words with IE about the weird mix of english and irish, really they can't be bothered, they can't even decide on the Irish abbreviation for Blackrock there is a g added sometimes

Cork train is very well behaved though which shows it can be done with a little care, and IE actually listen to comments about the errors and sorted them

Aphfaneire 12-11-2007 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 26946)
Had words with IE about the weird mix of english and irish, really they can't be bothered, they can't even decide on the Irish abbreviation for Blackrock there is a g added sometimes

Cork train is very well behaved though which shows it can be done with a little care, and IE actually listen to comments about the errors and sorted them

Isnt Pearse incorrect in Irish? When i did my oral for irish nearly 3 years ago now, my teacher told me it was "phearsig" or something not "phirsach", or the other way round. I cant quiet remember.:confused:

Mark Gleeson 12-11-2007 21:08

Close enough, the station is named after 2 people infact

KSW 12-11-2007 23:36

I call recall a moment on the 6am from Gorey to Dublin I boarded at 05:35 it had just arrived in and the Driver opened the doors and it was dark inside with no lights on. It was nice at that hour, Then the destination said Sligo/Sligeach and all the stations in English speaking then writing in Irish with no voice then it said Arklow,Rathdrum,Wicklow and thats how far it got in the Irish

Colm Moore 13-11-2007 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 26943)
Of course there is also a place called Dunleary....

Didn't they close that station more than a century ago? ;)

Mark Gleeson 14-11-2007 01:01

Yeah 1839 or something

constellation 14-11-2007 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 26950)
Close enough, the station is named after 2 people infact

Patrick and William Pearse if you believe Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_...ailway_station

Another useless nugget of information that'll serve me no purpose whatsoever. Oh well....

Thomas Ralph 14-11-2007 20:23

Irish

Quote:

Originally Posted by zag (Post 26945)
I don't mind having the station names announced in both languages, but I mean they should at least have yer man record the "Ta an cead stasiun eile . . ." bit.

Or is it "Is e an cead stasiun eile . . ."

z

"An chéad stáisiún eile ná" would be best if you want to put the station at the end of the sentence. "Is é/Ã* (name) an chéad stáisiún eile" is best Irish, but probably troublesome to program.

Thomas Ralph 14-11-2007 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 26946)

The announcements are still riddled with errors. For example "Tabhair ard le bhur dtoil ar na fógraÃ*..." should be "TugaigÃ* ard...".

Aphfaneire 16-11-2007 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by constellation (Post 27040)
Patrick and William Pearse if you believe Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_...ailway_station

Another useless nugget of information that'll serve me no purpose whatsoever. Oh well....

Dont you mean Padraig? After all only British Historians say Patrick in history books?;)

constellation 16-11-2007 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphfaneire (Post 27202)
Dont you mean Padraig? After all only British Historians say Patrick in history books?;)

Wikipedia say Patrick and it is infallible. Much like Irish Rail timetables.

So there. :p