Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Luas Discussion (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Child Fares (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=11084)

Eddie 12-11-2009 17:58

Child Fares

Can someone tell me why Luas tram child fares start at age 3, yet Irish Rail and Dublin Bus start at age 5? And bus Eireann is from age 3 too, well certainly it is in Cork.

Have I got this wrong? Or is this a case of inconsistency?

It would be very easy to either underestimate your fare if travelling with 3 and 4 year olds, or worse still be fined for not knowing the rules on the particular transport network used.

I've always thought that 5 was the right age to be charging child fares and 3 is just a bit mean.

Thomas Ralph 12-11-2009 19:57

It's worse than that, the Dublin Suburban area train fares start at 3 as well. No idea why though...

Mark Gleeson 12-11-2009 22:24

The conditions are complex, but the child must not occupy a seat and must be accompanied by an adult.

5 years of age seems to be the proper standard to adopt.

Eddie 13-11-2009 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph (Post 50963)
It's worse than that, the Dublin Suburban area train fares start at 3 as well. No idea why though...

Unbelievable that there is not even consistency between Suburban and Inter City. In the UK, they even manage to use the same age of 5 between different train companies!

Mark Gleeson 13-11-2009 13:15

The 3 year rule applies only in the Dublin suburban area, it doesn't apply in Cork. The default is 5 years

http://www.railusers.ie/resources/IE...riage_2004.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie (Post 50975)
Unbelievable that there is not even consistency between Suburban and Inter City. In the UK, they even manage to use the same age of 5 between different train companies!

Thats because there is national set of basic travel terms and conditions to protect from such craziness.

The latest issue of the IE ticket vending machine software issues child fares, finally (its easy to spot as it has the smartcard/ticket selection screen)

comcor 13-11-2009 16:49

Are the Irish Rail fare structures actually still based on the fare structures of the various private rail companies that were its predecessors. Because when you look at the way you get fares that only apply on commuter trains in Dublin or Cork or only on lines out of Connolly or Heuston etc., it's about the only explanation I can come up with.

Thomas Ralph 13-11-2009 17:16

The fare matrices are "very very complicated". There are separate fare tables for double-track intercity (i.e. Dublin-Cork/Limerick/Tralee and Dublin-Dundalk), single-track intercity (i.e. Dublin-Galway/Mayo/Waterford/Rosslare and Limerick-Waterford-Rosslare), suburban (Dublin and Cork areas) and cross-border, each of which has its own special niceties.

Mark Gleeson 13-11-2009 17:39

And if you travel from one route to another its the full Dublin Cork rate which applies

We have the matrix for each route

Child fare for non cross border it capped at 26 euro regardless of Adult fare.

ccos 21-11-2009 21:59

Quote:

Child fare for non cross border it capped at 26 euro
A bit steep for a five year old?

Mark Gleeson 21-11-2009 22:12

Its half adult fare but never more than 26 euro

Standard single to Cork is close on 70 euro, the fare is 26 euro which is considerably less than the normal 50% reduction almost universally employed

luasuser 30-11-2009 17:33

Luas Fares

Luas family members dont receive discount or free travel on Luas network but if you carry a social welfare pass you're free to drink, urinate, beg, sleep, and bring you're buddy along too.
Whatever happened to fairness & equality?? :mad:

Colm Moore 30-11-2009 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by luasuser (Post 51616)
Luas family members dont receive discount or free travel

What do you mean by "Luas family members"?

luasuser 30-11-2009 20:29

Fares

I am a Luas staff member and if we travel on the luas with any member of our family, they have to pay the full fare. I dont think this happens with Dublin Bus, Dart, or Iarnroad Eireann workers!

Thomas Ralph 30-11-2009 22:18

I know IÉ gives heavily discounted fares to family of (at least some) staff members.

However Veolia does not allow multiple people to travel on a pass unless it is a green-striped companion pass.

fat controller 01-12-2009 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph (Post 51632)
I know IÉ gives heavily discounted fares to family of (at least some) staff members.

However Veolia does not allow multiple people to travel on a pass unless it is a green-striped companion pass.

and you have to be a junkie or a drunk!