Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Dublin Rosslare (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   2009 timetable (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=6487)

KSW 25-01-2009 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 41138)
2009 due May/June

I was told by a ticket officer on the Rosslare service that the Rosslare line will not get a totally direct change on its daily services. He was telling me that the existing 13.05 might stay the way it is with a new 22k train but not the 18.35 and the morning service this afternoon train will be taken from a Sligo service and a 2800 class train will be swapped. I thought IE ordered more railcars for Sligo & Rosslare or is it the fact that not all 22k trains are in service yet.

He also said that the 2009 timetable will not be until June/July.

sublimity 27-01-2009 11:20

[quote=KSW;41142]I was told by a ticket officer on the Rosslare service that the Rosslare line will not get a totally direct change on its daily services.
QUOTE]

Thats not on. All services to Rosslare must be converted to 22ks. That was always the plan.

KSW 27-01-2009 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublimity (Post 41194)
Thats not on. All services to Rosslare must be converted to 22ks. That was always the plan.

I agree that was the plan but we the customers:Ddont actually know what was the plan.

I think everyone on the line will have their own opinions on the line by june or july if this does happen.:D

Mark Gleeson 27-01-2009 15:21

As I had posted many times, staff are only briefed on changes at short notice. This is just speculation

Not all trains south of Greystones will be 22k operated thats always been the position, 3 more 3 car 22k sets are awaited plus several 6 car sets

As it stands today there is no reason why the following services cannot be run

6:00 Gorey Dublin
16:30 Dublin Gorey

According to the Irish Rail staff timetable they should be 22k services

sublimity 27-01-2009 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 41198)
Not all trains south of Greystones will be 22k operated thats always been the position,

Yes, the Gorey trains will remain commuter railcars so that's probably why the train times you mentioned are still 28ks.

Beyond Gorey we all fully expect 22ks to be used with some 2x3 car formations for the busier time slots.

ThomasJ 27-01-2009 16:37

i reckon that if the formation i suggested would happen there wont be any 6-coach 22k formations on the rosslare line

Thomas Ralph 27-01-2009 16:42

Several of the wrong-side platforms are too short for them anyway.

sublimity 27-01-2009 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJ (Post 41201)
i reckon that if the formation i suggested would happen there wont be any 6-coach 22k formations on the rosslare line

One train each way should be a 6 coach. E.g afternoon train to Rosslare and the evening return to Dublin. Only Rathdrum is a problem with platforms.

Mark Gleeson 27-01-2009 16:56

The platform thing isn't a problem, they stop in Woodlawn which is also short

The doors are software controlled so there is no problem locking out the last door of the train if required, could even be done manually by the ticket checker

sublimity 27-01-2009 17:03

Great, so there is no reason why a 6-coach 22k should not be used on the Rosslare line. Glad we sorted that out

ThomasJ 10-02-2009 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublimity (Post 41206)
Great, so there is no reason why a 6-coach 22k should not be used on the Rosslare line. Glad we sorted that out

Not quiet, just yet by the looks of things! :confused: why couldnt rotem have done this?

http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/search/s...x?ID=DEC111145

Mark Gleeson 10-02-2009 13:38

It was my understanding that the fleet was ordered to have SDO, the computer console certainly displays the status of all doors

There are 183 ICR coaches, the tender says 234 so either Irish Rail are ordering 51 more or they are talking about the commuter fleet as its "up to 234 DMU vehicles of the same class / build type" . So Irish Rail have given the game away, they have a contract option on the ICR fleet most likely

The problem with SDO is to know when to disable the doors and which ones, thats where you need a complex technical solution and no GPS isn't a great solution

They are talking about 100 platforms, which is somewhere upwards of 50 stations in total, I only count 8 platforms in need of this on the Rosslare line

ThomasJ 10-02-2009 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 41765)

They are talking about 100 platforms, which is somewhere upwards of 50 stations in total, I only count 8 platforms in need of this on the Rosslare line

Could this include taking into account 9-coach trains?

Mark Gleeson 10-02-2009 13:51

Heuston side most platforms are 210m, long enough for a 9 car if required, Thurles needs a short extension on one platform but I can't see where 50 platforms is coming from, unless its the entire Sligo line and Rosslare lines

wobbles 10-02-2009 13:53

51 extra 22000 class carriages were ordered nearly six months ago.

IE opted against SDO in the original order for the 22000 class. A nine coach consist (1 six car coupled to 1 three car) was tested recently. IE are looking at using 9 car consists on some of their busier services. A nine coach 22000 would be longer than most platforms so hence the tender for SDO.

ThomasJ 10-02-2009 13:53

Upgrading Rosslare and Sligo line to 9-coach?

For the Rosslare side that would be a waste, 6 coach is sufficent

What about the commuter services side of things Mark?

Any short platforms or possible upgrades?

ThomasJ 10-02-2009 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbles (Post 41769)

IE opted against SDO in the original order for the 22000 class. A nine coach consist (1 six car coupled to 1 three car) was tested recently. IE are looking at using 9 car consists on some of their busier services. A nine coach 22000 would be longer than most platforms so hence the tender for SDO.

Sorry wobbles! misread that! me bad :o Are there many stations on the heuston line like that?!

ThomasJ 10-02-2009 13:59

Just what was said on boards

Quote:

Yes this is for the 22000 fleet.

I can't say why this was not in the original specification. It (in my opinion) should certainly have been. However, what this will now allow is 6-car operation on the Rosslare route and perhaps 9-car operation on other routes if the need allows.

Now what other piece of information that has not really been in the public arena can you glean from the notice?

Mark Gleeson 10-02-2009 14:07

No contract award notice for a further order, only published orders are

1. 20 * 3 + 10 * 6 = 120
2. 10 * 3 = 30
3. 1 * 3 + 5 * 6 = 33

Been saying for ages that Irish Rail where 40-60 coaches short so it would make sense. For Rosslare, Limerick area and WRC most likely

ThomasJ 10-02-2009 14:10

and pace and the upgraded kildare line

Colm Moore 10-02-2009 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJ (Post 41771)
Sorry wobbles! misread that! me bad :o Are there many stations on the heuston line like that?!

Heuston-Cork all have longer platforms (210m?).

All other new / extended stations are being built to 174m (8-car DART/2600-2900).

I'm not sure about existing stations.

sublimity 11-02-2009 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbles (Post 41769)

Well that is great news. I wonder are they all in 3 coach formats (17*3) or a combination of 3 coach and 6 coach.

They really should have ordered a lot more 6 coach sets in the first place.

sublimity 27-03-2009 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 43317)
Sadly its not possible for safety reasons to send a 8 coach train south of Greystones

And what about the 6 coach 22k?

Mark you said there should be no problem with a 6 coach 22k going to Rosslare. Are you still of that viewpoint? Any confirmation from Irish Rail about this issue?

Mark Gleeson 27-03-2009 14:17

There should be no problem with a 6 car 22k set, once there is some way to lock the very rear door at the stations where a short platform exists. It was indicated a long time ago that the new trains had selective door opening turns out they don't

Curiously enough the platform at Woodlawn on the Galway line is short as well, but the new trains stop there. The Mk4 stopped at Templemore and Portarlington which both had very short platforms until recently

PLUMB LOCO 27-03-2009 16:46

There would be no problem operating 6 or 8 carriage trains on the Rosslare line if CIE/IE wished to. They do exactly what suits them and throw up all sorts of Health & Safety concerns when it suits them. Without doubt two of the busiest stations in the country - Cork and Connolly (Platform 5) - are two of the most dangerous for passengers but they are not shut down. I refer to 'mind the gap' - the yawning chasm between the train door and the platforms in these locations. I am not advocating that they be closed but just that CIE/IE cop themselves on and sort out the nonsense about platform lengths.:D

dowlingm 29-03-2009 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 43330)
Curiously enough the platform at Woodlawn on the Galway line is short as well, but the new trains stop there. The Mk4 stopped at Templemore and Portarlington which both had very short platforms until recently

When Rathdrum was extended I guess it lost its grandfather rights?

roamling 30-03-2009 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLUMB LOCO (Post 43333)
There would be no problem operating 6 or 8 carriage trains on the Rosslare line if CIE/IE wished to. They do exactly what suits them and throw up all sorts of Health & Safety concerns when it suits them.

I guess there would be health and safety concerns if a platform is to short (at the latest when a passenger uses the wrong exit and misses the platform :rolleyes: ) But seriously, when I came to this country 5 years ago (before that I was complaining to Deutsche Bahn :) ) I could not believe that I had to go into the first two carriages to leave the train at Castlebar for example. I considered that a health and safety issue and actually people DID leave the train there off limits the platform because the doors weren't locked.

Thomas Ralph 30-03-2009 15:39

There is very much a problem running anything longer than a 6-car 2800 set south of Greystones, as that is the longest that the platforms at Rathdrum, Arklow, Enniscorthy, Wexford, and Rosslare Strand can manage.

sublimity 30-03-2009 16:11

Wexford is one of the longest platforms in the country.

Mark seems to think a 6 car 22k will be fine once the rear door is locked. Try not to be so negative.

ThomasJ 30-03-2009 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublimity (Post 43498)
Wexford is one of the longest platforms in the country.

Mark seems to think a 6 car 22k will be fine once the rear door is locked. Try not to be so negative.

The question is though is it needed?

Where did I hear before that a 6 coach 22k has more seats than an 8-coach 29k? My point is that seperation of Rosslare and Maynooth/Drogheda is about to take place is there sufficent passengers using the rosslare services to warrant a train with that capacity on the line? Especially in light of passenger numbers falling.

sublimity 30-03-2009 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJ (Post 43499)
is there sufficent passengers using the rosslare services to warrant a train with that capacity on the line? Especially in light of passenger numbers falling.

They'll rise again once the new trains operate the line! People will realise that the journey will be much more comfortable with the new trains.

It's worth noting that more people will probably be holidaying at home this year which means more people will be using the train. Rosslare is a major holiday destination and if this summer happens to be a good one weatherwise I'd imagine the trains to Rosslare will be packed.

Yes I think it does warrant 6 coaches, maybe not for every train to/from Rosslare but certainly some.

Thomas Ralph 30-03-2009 18:48

Whoops, scratch Wexford.

The problem with the concept of only opening the front five doors is that it can't be done :(

KSW 30-03-2009 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublimity (Post 43498)
Try not to be so negative.

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJ (Post 43499)
Rosslare and Maynooth/Drogheda is about to take place is there sufficent passengers using the rosslare services to warrant a train with that capacity on the line? Especially in light of passenger numbers falling.

Don't be thinking negatively :). But I honestly cant blame people for not using the train service on the Calafort Ros Lair line. People have I bet just about enough of these 2800 Commuter Railcars they aren't exactly comfortable especially coming from i.e Gorey & Wexford where the journey is 1hr40mins & Wexford 2hr30mins. Im using the 07.26 Connolly Gorey in the morning and the thought of the 2800 train is literally pissing me off:). Where-as if that was a new 22k train then I guarantee you I and many others would feel different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublimity (Post 43507)
They'll rise again once the new trains operate the line! People will realise that the journey will be much more comfortable with the new trains.
Yes I think it does warrant 6 coaches, maybe not for every train to/from Rosslare but certainly some.

Certainly a case for the last train and the first early morning train from Rosslare to Dublin. But the 3car sets can hold 200 people so maybe that will be enough.

"Try not to be so negative." Maybe this messgae should be sent to the head of IE for the Rosslare line.:);)

sublimity 30-03-2009 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph (Post 43512)
Whoops, scratch Wexford.

The problem with the concept of only opening the front five doors is that it can't be done :(

Where there's a will there's a way...:cool:

dowlingm 01-04-2009 00:54

well, IE have tendered for the way, we just can't figure out why it wasn't in the original spec...

KSW 08-09-2009 09:10

When is the Rossalre line going to see the new timetable, Its obviously not Sep27th as proposed will it be next month then maybe the next month or with IE the following month.

Is the Malahide viaduct causing this problem with the new timetable to be issued?

sublimity 08-09-2009 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSW (Post 49247)

Is the Malahide viaduct causing this problem with the new timetable to be issued?

It shouldn't be but it looks like it is

ThomasJ 08-09-2009 09:26

Bear in mind that a few things to be factored in...

- Connolly timetable
- DART timetable
- DARTS enroute on the Bray/Greystones route
- Northern/Western commuters in the Connolly Pearse area
- reported new clockface DART timetable which Rosslare needs, in order to work

The new Rosslare timetable is unworkable with the current DART timetable and would be a disaster if introduced before the rest of the DART/Commuters. The timetable has to be integrated.

Mark Gleeson 08-09-2009 09:38

Malahide has really screwed things up, there are 52 DMU coaches north of Malahide, in simple terms thats a third of the entire fleet

The two remaining 3 car 22k sets have yet to show up

KSW 24-09-2009 21:32

I think Irish Rail should really consider putting the last service to Rosslare/Wexford leaving Dublin @19.30 or 20.00

People as like myself need a late service back home.