Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Commuter Services (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   On train information and the lack thereof, post your experience (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=54)

Colm Moore 29-04-2010 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by comcor (Post 55841)
Where do they even get those destinations from?

With the canvas scrolls, its the driver forgetting / not bothering change it.

With the electronic ones, it may be a database error, where the display is to display destination X (odd number) and destination X+1

How it should be programmed:
1 English name A
2 Irish name A
3 English name B
4 Irish name B
5 English name C
6 Irish name C

7 English name D
8 Irish name D

How we suspect is it programmed

1 English name A
2 Irish name A
3 English name B
4 Irish name B
5 English name C
6 Alternative English name C or spurious entry

7 Irish name C
8 English name D
9 Irish name D

Or

1 English name A
2 Irish name A
3 English name B
4 Irish name B
5 English name C
6 English name D

7 Irish name D
8 English name E

Quote:

Are there any trains that have Ballyhaunis or Little Island as their terminus?
No, nothing scheduled.

Thomas Ralph 29-04-2010 18:08

I was on a train from Greystones to Howth earlier and it was saying next station Shankill as long as I was on it.

Trampas 30-04-2010 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trampas (Post 55839)
The 14:35 Arklow to Maynooth had littleisland on the front as it arrived into Lansdowne Road yesterday. Even with 2 drivers they couldn't get it to work properly.

Displayed locations such as Wicklow and Templemore as the next stop.

I would really hate to be a tourist in Ireland as you wouldn't know if you should get on a train or not since it doesn't display the correct final destination.

Same again today

drumcondra commuter 06-05-2010 10:47

The 0805 ex Connolly commuter to Maynooth said Clonsilla on the front digital display. The driver announced at Broombridge that the train was bound for Maynooth. No other announcements - electronic or from the driver - made.

Locky 07-05-2010 09:58

The 17.13 from Pearse to Dundalk yesterday and Wednesday displayed Drogheda on front of train and announcement on boarding thst the train was going to Drogheda. Lots of confused passengers, on both days, starting asking if it was going to Dundalk or not? Driver then announced that we were in fact Dundalk-bound.
On the 05.40 this morning from dundalk to Connolly - on board display continuously displaying that we were going to Castle Connell via Farranfore and NEWRY!!! The public announcement system was correct however for a tourist or any deaf passengers I'm sure this could cause major confusion!!!

finnyus 07-05-2010 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locky (Post 55965)
The 17.13 from Pearse to Dundalk yesterday and Wednesday displayed Drogheda on front of train and announcement on boarding thst the train was going to Drogheda. Lots of confused passengers, on both days, starting asking if it was going to Dundalk or not? Driver then announced that we were in fact Dundalk-bound.
On the 05.40 this morning from dundalk to Connolly - on board display continuously displaying that we were going to Castle Connell via Farranfore and NEWRY!!! The public announcement system was correct however for a tourist or any deaf passengers I'm sure this could cause major confusion!!!

I thought Irish Rail were allergic to the Limerick - Ballybrophy line? (If) the Waterford - Rosslare line is "suspended" you might still see the Campile destination... about the only advertising it gets... :confused:

drumcondra commuter 10-05-2010 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by drumcondra commuter (Post 55693)
8.05 Maynooth train ex Connolly once again this morning showing Ballyhaunis on the front display (like every other morning for the last three weeks). No in-carriage announcements for stations.

And again this morning.

ThomasJ 30-05-2010 17:37

[30-5-2010] 17:43 pearse maynooth

i boarded this train at clonsilla heading maynooth bound

The destination was showing as littleisland

Stopping stations showing as kildare and knockroghery

ThomasJ 01-09-2010 19:25

[1-9-2010] 19:20 docklands Clonsilla

Showing m3 parkway as the destination

Trampas 01-12-2010 19:55

The 13.30 Connolly to Rosslare arrived into tara st around 1415 but had Docklands on the front. I don't know if people didn't because of this

ThomasJ 06-06-2011 19:46

[6-6-2011] 17:40 rosslare connolly - a blast from the past!

The 17:40 rosslare connolly terminated in connolly a few minutes ago.

The front, sides and back panels were showing dundalk as the destination!

Mark Gleeson 06-06-2011 20:31

Train thought it was the Rosslare - Enniscorthy - Dundalk train (i.e. a normal Monday)

ThomasJ 06-06-2011 20:39

Is there stilla train from rosslare to connolly. I thought it was cancelled in the last timetable change?

ThomasJ 05-01-2017 18:34

I know this is a ghost thread at this stage but I had to post this https://mobile.twitter.com/Antonmcm/...70030324170752

Jamie2k9 05-01-2017 20:37

Oh dear!, prehaps by accident driver hit 9 instead of 8 as part of ID or set change last minute.

shweeney 09-01-2017 16:14

I note IR have solved the problem of the DART in-carriage electronic maps being inaccurate.

By turning them off, and in some cases covering them over with a cardboard map. Success! I'm sure when IR buy their next set of trains, they'll make a big song and dance about the sophisticated PIS onboard, only to quietly turn them off a few years later because they can't be bothered maintaining them.

Jamie2k9 09-01-2017 21:06

I think they have been off with a long time. No easy or cheap fix possible. Its Clongriffin that caused them all the problems isn't it?

James Howard 10-01-2017 08:06

Whatever the reasons for it, that is a really nasty screw-up to have to face as a passenger. Irish Rail always seem to treat passenger information as an optional extra - sure everyone knows where they are going.

I first came across those electronic light-up maps in Tokyo over 20 years ago and they were fitted to pretty old trains. Needless to say they worked flawlessly. I found it far easier to get around Tokyo than I did to get around Dublin despite not having a shared common language with any railway staff and not even being able to read their native character set. But their electronic passenger information worked every time where fitted and every driver announced every stop every time on a PA that worked consistently, clearly and loudly and said nothing else.

This is nothing to do with scale or investment - it's purely due to staff that give a damn. In Irish Rail, giving a damn is optional - most people do but enough don't to make for an inconsistent experience.

Dublin13 16-01-2017 23:05

Simple solution to all of the issues with the 29000 and 86xx class PIS is to fit the same system that was used in the 81xx class since that system is very reliable and a proven off the shelf system that was used by Siemens in many other different trains.

System in the other trains is cheaper and less reliable and built to a price rather than a specifications to win the tender for new stock.

Colm Moore 20-01-2017 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublin13 (Post 78387)
System in the other trains is cheaper and less reliable and built to a price rather than a specifications to win the tender for new stock.

Much of the problem is poor data, e.g. new stations not added or drivers logging into the system with the wrong train ID.