Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Events, Happenings and Media (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   [article] RPA defends capacity of proposed metro trams (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=3802)

Mark 03-04-2008 15:30

2.8m width would be ideal but 2.65m/2.7m would also be achieveable given the RPA originally perceived that as their metro tram width. When you look at it, 250mm is not a huge distance and so the question is have the curve radii have been designed to 2.4 or have they allowed scope for wider body trams.

I wonder would 2.4m width units impact on comfort, especially taking into account airport patrons.

Thomas J Stamp 03-04-2008 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 32124)
I wonder would 2.4m width units impact on comfort, especially taking into account airport patrons.

Depends if they're itsy bitsy Japs or fat Americans I suppose

undo 03-04-2008 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp (Post 32138)

Manuel Uribe might not fit on a 2.4m tram either :).

Mark 04-04-2008 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp (Post 32138)

Are you advocating separate carriages for different nationalities? :D

I was thinking more along the lines of luggage though. Has anyone here used the LU to get from Heathrow with luggage? Is it cramped?

Mark Hennessy 04-04-2008 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 32150)

I was thinking more along the lines of luggage though. Has anyone here used the LU to get from Heathrow with luggage? Is it cramped?

From Knight's Bridge to Barons Court is the worst as you have locals cramming on alongside the airport traffic.

No areas for luggage and very cramped.

Tubes every 2-3 mins to Heathrow though.

Aphfaneire 06-04-2008 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 32150)

Good question the metro should be able to take airport passengers not normal commuters.

Maybe if they have the shuttle trams converted to different space arrangements compared to trams that run all the way too swords.

Or they could just build a heavy rail soloution wich could easily have the right space:p

Mark 07-04-2008 11:02

I think that they are running with the right solution on the right route with stations at pretty much the best locations*. However I think sticking with 2.4m wide trams could be a huge shortcoming. The airport terminating trams will go someway to giving the Airport travellers comfort but a lot will depend on the tram design and the amount of low floor space. There isnt that much space for large amounts of luggage on the luas.

*Would still prefer O'Connell Street instead of O'Connell Bridge and Parnell.

Colm R 07-04-2008 14:33

Have we any indication as to what the layout of the Dublin Airport Station will be. I have seen it somewhere before, can't remember what city but essentially what would be required is

A well publicised platform (which would be a terminating platform also) where the train would idle for 5 minutes or more. This way most once off users (as in tourists) who generally have bags, would be inclined to use this. The idling time gives a more relaxed feel for visitors and they are not lumped in with commuters from Swords and elsewhere.

Then a seperate platform for more regular users in the know with the train coming from Swords with a 20 - 30 second stopping time.

Going in the opposite direction, a more publicised train terminating at the Airport, perhaps with a specific platform in St. Stephens Green and O'Connel St. The other 'commuter' trains should not over publicise the fact that they stop in the Airport.

Anyway the above would be a dream. I don't envisage it happening that way.