Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Irish Rail Discussion (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   The Leap Card Thread (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=14004)

berneyarms 22-06-2014 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by haddockman (Post 74608)
There is nothing to stop the locals from travelling to the airport to stock up on the cards. I assume they will sell them to anyone?

Do you seriously think people are going to trek out to the airport in large numbers just to buy a transport ticket?

markpb 22-06-2014 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inniskeen (Post 74607)
Ticket should be available everywhere but should only be valid with a non Irish passport, the number of which should be on the ticket.

What about tourists from the UK who don't require a passport to get here?

Mark Gleeson 22-06-2014 09:07

They can't refuse to sell you the ticket on the basis of nationality

Traincustomer 22-06-2014 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 74604)
But not available from Dublin Port, Dun Laoghaire Port or any official tourist information office.

I share this view that it should be available to ferry foot passengers entering the country via the two Dublin Bay ports.

Inniskeen 23-06-2014 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 74612)
They can't refuse to sell you the ticket on the basis of nationality

It is not particularly unusual for tickets to be sold on the basis of country of residence (using passports as the control) - BritRail passes can be purchased by holders of non-UK passports.

Most European cities have one, two and three day tickets, generally available to everybody - this is probably the way the Dublin ticket will evolve. This type of ticket is very convenient for tourists and other visitors as it avoids continually battling with unfamiliar ticket machines and mastering local peculiarities.

berneyarms 23-06-2014 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inniskeen (Post 74626)
It is not particularly unusual for tickets to be sold on the basis of country of residence (using passports as the control) - BritRail passes can be purchased by holders of non-UK passports.

Most European cities have one, two and three day tickets, generally available to everybody - this is probably the way the Dublin ticket will evolve. This type of ticket is very convenient for tourists and other visitors as it avoids continually battling with unfamiliar ticket machines and mastering local peculiarities.

Local residents can already avail of daily/weekly capping rates.

The number of tickets is being reduced drastically to reflect this.

haddockman 23-06-2014 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inniskeen (Post 74626)

How does a passport show the country of residence? As I said earlier plenty of Irish passport holders are not resident in Ireland and are thus resident elsewhere.

I think your idea is flawed.

bg07 23-06-2014 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by haddockman (Post 74628)
How does a passport show the country of residence? As I said earlier plenty of Irish passport holders are not resident in Ireland and are thus resident elsewhere.

Interrail tickets are either not valid or only valid for partial discounts for residents of a particular country when travelling in their country of residence.

Link

When I was using some inspectors asked specifically to see ID and I used a passport. I presume other forms of ID other than a passport would be accepted to prove your country of residency. If they wanted they could enforce a similar system here but I doubt it would be worth the hassle.

Inniskeen 24-06-2014 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by berneyarms (Post 74627)
Local residents can already avail of daily/weekly capping rates.

The number of tickets is being reduced drastically to reflect this.

Capping is fine for regular users, not much use for occasional visitors be they Irish residents or otherwise. London has the Oyster card but you can still purchase a one day ticket from a vending machine. Two and Three day tickets are also available.

Don't see any reason why tickets with similar validity shouldn't be available in Dublin at all major visitor entry points and tourist offices and preferably at TVMs around the city. They can be priced attractively without undermining revenue from regular commuters.

Inniskeen 24-06-2014 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by haddockman (Post 74628)

Although not perfect there is a fairly good correspondence between passport and residence. Requiring a passport is probably over the top for a low cost urban transport ticket that is really useful for convenience and needn't be priced at a level that makes it overly attractive to regular commuters. It would be better to have these tickets easily available either from all citywide vending machines or at least from all major transport hubs and tourist office. Minimum hassle, maximum convenience.

Eddie 07-01-2015 22:22

Does anyone know if I can use my Dublin Leap Card on public transport in another region, eg Cork buses for example? Or would I have to obtain a separate Cork Leap Card?

Mark Gleeson 07-01-2015 23:15

One card does all

comcor 08-01-2015 22:51

In practice, it depends.

A Leap Card will work fine on Bus Eireann buses in Cork and Galway, but not other cities yet.

On Irish Rail, the only place it works outside the Dublin region is on Cork-Cobh/Midleton, and there it only works if you are loading passes onto it, not for pay as you go fares.

Eddie 09-01-2015 20:20

Thanks - that's helpful.

Incidentally - can a "Thanks" comment be incorporated into threads so the message can be conveyed without the need to add a new message, like they have on Boards.ie?

Mark Gleeson 10-01-2015 21:34

It can if you pay the significant upgrade fees to vBulletin :rolleyes:

Eddie 16-05-2015 22:01

Ensure you keep a regular check on your Leap Card history, as system errors resulting in overcharging are not being refunded on claims after more than 30 days.

Traincustomer 26-05-2015 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie (Post 75762)
Ensure you keep a regular check on your Leap Card history, as system errors resulting in overcharging are not being refunded on claims after more than 30 days.

In my view the Leap Card section of the NTA could and should have refunded this money to you as a once off goodwill gesture while drawing attention to the 30 day policy.

comcor 28-05-2015 10:01

Any word on when Pay As You Go Leap will be available on Cork Commuter services

I see a covered-up validator at Cobh station now.

Mark Gleeson 28-05-2015 13:59

Validators are in, back end software and a fares determination are now required, can't test without the fares

bg07 28-05-2015 17:04

Cork suburban rail leap epurse fares were included in the last fare determination so fare determination is not an issue.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-...tober_2014.pdf